Feb 24, 2011

A Smile Lights up the World

Being a mother is one of the greatest joys I have ever known. Every moment is an adventure, especially at my son's age, because he is exploring and learning new things all the time, even when I don't think he is paying attention.

My relationship with him is very physical; we are constantly running and chasing, doing flips, tickles, marching around the house, playing hide-and-go-seek, and laughing until we cry! I love it and wouldn't have it any other way! I thank God that I am young and have the energy to play with him like that. His sweet and innocent smile just lights up my whole world. He is truly a blessing from God, fashioned to give me utter delight!

When I was pregnant with Giancarlo, actually even before I knew I was, it was October 27th, my birthday, and Carlos gave me one white rose. Now, instead of being grateful for how romantic that was, I was mad that after everything, a single white rose was the best he could do. I was feeling sorry for myself and throwing a pity-party as I pulled out of the driveway to head to my mom's house. For those of you who don't believe God speaks, let me just reassure you, he does. Because in that moment, in spite of my irrational reaction to a perfectly beautiful and acceptable gift, God told me, "I'm going to give you a better gift." Now at that time, I didn't know what that meant except Carlos' rose wasn't the last word on my day. So I waited, all day, for something better than a rose. But nothing happened. That night when I laid down, I was mad; mad at Carlos and mad at God. But I wasn't patient enough because exactly one week later I discovered I was pregnant. And how badly I had wanted a baby! Then I knew he was God's gift to me, to us. It wasn't a birthday gift, it was the gift of new life.


Later on in the pregnancy, I was probably about 8 months along, I dropped Carlos off at work and on my way home God gave me a vision of a little boy, probably about 2 years old, running away from me to the other side of the room, curls bouncing. He stopped and turned around to look at me with a wide grin and giggled. The laugh echoed and the smile lit up the shadows. I started to cry just imagining the great gift God had given me.

To this day, remembering that is enough to bring tears to my eyes. Only, then I didn't realize how true that vision was until now. Giancarlo is 1 year and 7 months old, and I have, countless times, seen him run from me then turn around to make sure I am still chasing him, squeal in delight when he sees me, then keep right on going until I catch him. And his smile always pulls one straight out of me. Always.

By the way, his name means "God's gracious gift." I didn't find out until he was several weeks old because we changed it from Joseph to Giancarlo in the delivery room after he was born. And that, my friends, is a true story! Be blessed!


1 comment:

  1. This is so very touching! How beautiful! :) It's reminded me.....when I was a teenager, all I knew about my life and where it was going, was that I wanted to be a mom. And I always knew that I would have a boy first. When I was a senior in High school, or maybe even the year after, and I was at a point in my life where I was totally lost and didn't know what I was doing with my life.. I had a dream that I was sitting in a car, next to a little boy who had blonde hair. And I thought he was the most beautiful little person I had ever seen, and I loved him SO much, but I didn't know who he was at the time. It wasn't a year later ,I met my husband, and then a few months later we were expecting! Fast forward to now, my son is 6 and IS that little boy I had dreamed of! Blonde hair & all. It's funny how God gives us little glimpses into the wonderful things he has in store for us!!! :)

    ReplyDelete