Feb 15, 2011

Orchids and Patience... The Story of My Life!

In case you’re wondering, this is the story of my life, my mission statement if you will. You know, the one thing that every company has, but they never actually reach, although they always keep faith that one day they will get there. That’s me. I’m always overlooking the orchids in frantic search for a perfect rose and I am the most impatient gal in the world! J But I am obsessed with orchids and in love with patience. Some day…

My dear ole Daddy is the one who always told me about the orchids. It was always the same but told a little different every time. It went a little something like this:
               There was once a man who set out in search for a perfect rose. He searched and searched, looking carefully over each and every one. After exhausting himself with the search, and finally settling on a rose that was acceptable, though still not perfect, he accepted defeat. When he looked up, ready to move on, he found exactly what he was searching for! Right there in front of him, out of place amid the bed of roses, was the most beautiful orchid he had ever seen.
The moral of the story? Don’t get so caught up and focused on finding what you consider to be perfect that you miss the beauty that’s right before your eyes. Now in reality, this is based on a song called “I Overlooked an Orchid,” although, I didn't know that until I was an adult. The song is about a lover, but I've found it to be true in every aspect of life.



And what about patience? Well, ironically, it takes extreme patience to care for and grow an orchid. Something I've never been able to do, as I always kill them with amazing skill. Maybe it’s due to my lack of patience! Just ask my husband, I am forever driving him crazy with my impatient antics. When I get something in my mind, I have to do it right then. With me, there’s no such thing as waiting for something to pan out, having faith that God will work it out, waiting for circumstances to change, planning, etc. I want it now. And just the way I see it in my mind’s eye. But reality always gives me those gentle nudges, and sometimes not-so-gentle nudges (i.e. a brick wall) reminding me that I've run away from patience and its virtues again.

So here’s to life and growing, learning and experiences, on this journey God’s given me called life. It’s not the destination, but how you get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment